[Iris-Club] std++ and Iris master on opam (and: opam.pins is dead)

Ralf Jung jung at mpi-sws.org
Tue Sep 19 15:34:57 CEST 2017

Hi Robbert,

> Thanks for implementing this!
>
> On 09/19/2017 03:04 PM, Ralf Jung wrote:
>> If you work on Iris, this means that in the future, if you want to
>> update the build-dependency on std++, you do this by editing the opam
>> file rather than opam.pins.   You do not have to care about updating the
>> new opam repository; that will be done automagically by our CI.
> So, If I understood correctly, the workflow will be as follows:
>
> 1. Commit & push to stdpp
> 2. Wait until the CI has finished, and the commit appears at
> https://gitlab.mpi-sws.org/FP/opam-dev/
> 3. Change the opam file to the version number at
> https://gitlab.mpi-sws.org/FP/opam-dev/ corresponding to the new commit
> 4. Commit & push to Iris
>
> For dependencies of Iris, step (2) may take quite a while, I suppose? I
> guess it is a bad idea to take an educated guess of the version number
> and push to Iris or its dependencies before (2) has finished.

That is generally correct.  For Iris, (2) typically takes less than 3
minutes (plus waiting for a free slot on the CI builder).  Currently, we
test against the Coq 8.7 branch; if Coq changed since the last build
then you have to add another 7 minutes.
The version number is pretty predictable:

  dev.<date>.<counter staring at 0>

I wouldn't push based on this, though.  Anyway, until the CI is done you
will not be able to use opam to install Iris to even see whether e.g.
lambdaRust still works -- at least in my workflow, I use opam to install
the Iris used by lambdaRust, so even if I guessed the version number
correctly I would have to wait.

Kind regards,
Ralf