[Iris-Club] Cancellativity of RA

Robbert Krebbers mail at robbertkrebbers.nl
Thu Mar 9 10:35:08 CET 2017

Hi Zhen,

the cancellation property is not an axiom simply because many of the RA
constructions do not enjoy the cancellation property. For example,
consider the RA of sets with union as the operation:

   we have { 1 } ∪ { 1 } = { 1 } ∪ ∅
   but not { 1 } = ∅

Apart from this, there are plenty of other RAs that do not enjoy the
cancellation property.

Since a while ago we have the notion of cancelable elements in the Coq
formalization of Iris though:

   Class Cancelable {A : cmraT} (x : A) :=
     cancelableN n y z : ✓{n}(x ⋅ y) → x ⋅ y ≡{n}≡ x ⋅ z → y ≡{n}≡ z.

Which enables the following local update:

    Lemma cancel_local_update x y z `{!Cancelable x} :
      (x ⋅ y, x ⋅ z) ~l~> (y, z).

See also https://gitlab.mpi-sws.org/FP/iris-coq/merge_requests/43

Robbert