[Iris-Club] Intention of later(False) in timeless predicate

Robbert Krebbers mail at robbertkrebbers.nl
Mon Aug 22 09:10:47 CEST 2016

Hi Jeehoon,

think of timeless as being invariant under the step-indexes.
Semantically that means (ignoring resources):

   Timeless P := ∀ n, P 0 → P n

So, now let's think how we could describe that in the logic. An obvious
guess would be:

   Timeless P := ▷ P ⊢ P

However, this is wrong. Take a look at the following:

        0      1      2      3
   ▷ P  True   P(0)   P(1)   P(2)
   P    P(0)   P(1)   P(2)   P(3)

As you see here, step-index 0 is problematic. According to the semantic
definition, False would be timeless, but ▷ False ⊢ False does not hold
at step-index 0.

So, what we somehow would like to do is to "exclude" the 0th step-index,
and that's where the disjunction with ▷ False comes in:

                0      1      2      3
   ▷ P          True   P(0)   P(1)   P(2)

   P            P(0)   P(1)   P(2)   P(3)
   ▷ False      True   False  False  False