[Iris-Club] Classical version of Iris?

Joseph Tassarotti jtassaro at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Aug 14 16:24:54 CEST 2016

Ralf, Bob, and I have developed a version of Iris based on linear BI in
our POPL submission. I mean "linear" in the sense that P * Q does not
necessarily entail P, in contrast to the "affine" set-up in the original
Iris (I personally find the "intuitionistic"/"classical" separation
logic terminology confusing). This is part of an extension to Iris that
we developed for proving fair termination-preserving refinements between
a source and target language. We have certain resources that represent
threads of the source program, and in order to make sure that the
refinement is termination preserving, we needed to precisely track these
resources and prevent threads from "throwing them away".

Since we only needed to track these "source-thread" resources so
carefully and did not care about others, we have an additional modality
A, which indicates that a proposition is "affine" and can be thrown
away, i.e. P * A(Q) |- P.

The question arises as to whether knowledge of an invariant should be
affine. That is, writing [P] for knowledge of invariant P, should we
have [P] |- A([P])? For various reasons related to other aspects of our
extensions, we decided the answer should be yes. However, this is
problematic for exactly the reason Derek alluded to in his second email:
one could "hide" resources by storing them in an invariant and then
throw the invariant away! Our work-around for this was to require that
in order to establish invariant [P] you had to have a proof of A(P).
Since we did not need to transfer ownership of our source-thread
resources using invariants in our example proofs, this limitation was
fine for us.

But, that clearly does not work if the resource you want to track
precisely is something like memory, in which case you very much want to
transfer it between threads using invariants. Then, invariants would
have to be non-affine in general so you could not throw them away.

On 08/14/2016 09:12 AM, Derek Dreyer wrote:
> In that case, the only way to regain precise
> tracking of resources would be to explicitly keep track of all known
> invariants and thread such reasoning through specs, which goes against
> the use of invariants to model hidden state.  I think that can't
> possibly work.

I don't understand what you mean here. As long as you can still frame
away knowledge of invariant assertions, why would it be so bad?

-Joe